Understanding Employee Extensions
Each member of your team, including yourself, gets a unique 3-digit Employee Extension on our phone system. These extensions allow you to manage calls and voicemails, use the mobile app, and log in to the system.
Important Note: Having an Employee Extension is required for using the Unitel Mobile App.
Suggestion: Setting up Employee Extensions before creating Department Extensions is generally recommended.
Watch a quick video on how extensions work in our system here.
Creating a New Employee Extension
- Go to 'Extensions' on the left-hand menu.
- Under 'Department Extensions,' find 'Employee Extensions' and click 'Add Extension.'
- Fill out the form with the required details, which include:
- First Name of your User
- Last Name of your User
- Email Address of your User (this is where the Invite Email will be sent)
- Specify the Users TimeZone
- Enable "Admin" role to allow the user access to all extensions and calls
- Add additional extensions this user can manage
- Check the box to send an invite email
- Click "Create"
Adjusting Employee Extension Settings
Once you've created an extension, you can customize its settings.
Here's what you can adjust in the settings:
- General Information: Update the extension's basic details and activate features like the Mobile App, Voicemail Transcription, and Call Recording.
- Mobile App & Devices: Set up how your extension forwards calls to the app, device, or other extensions or phone numbers. The system defaults to forwarding calls to the account owner's contact number. (See more info in the Setting up Mobile App & Devices section below.)
- Forwarding Extensions & Numbers: If you prefer to have your Employee Extension forwarded directly to a specific phone number, you can do this by deactivating the Mobile App option in the General Information settings. Then, you can edit the current forwarding number. The system also allows you to set up a list of phone numbers or extensions for your Employee Extension to forward calls to. You have full control over the order of this list, thereby controlling the sequence in which calls are forwarded.
- Voicemail Forwarding: This feature allows you to add an email address (or a list of addresses separated by commas) where voicemails will be forwarded. You'll receive a notification at this address, along with an attached MP3 file containing the voicemail.
- Voicemail Greeting: You have the option to record and upload a personalized greeting for your extension's voicemail box.
Click here to learn more about creating greetings and how to record.
- Recorded Extension Name: This is where you record your first and last name. This recording will be used in the Dial-By-Name Directory.
- Extension Login: This section allows you to manage the login information for the employee extension. Input the extension owner's email, username, and password. The owner (or "user") of the extension can then use these credentials to manage their Employee Extension either online or via the Unitel Mobile App. Note: If users need to change their login credentials at any time, they can visit the Unitel login page and click "forgot your login".
Please be aware that usernames and passwords have certain requirements:
- Must be at least 8 characters long, but no more than 40.
- Can only include dashes "-", underscores "_" or periods "." as special characters.
- Must be different from the login.
- Must contain at least 6 characters.
- Must contain at least 3 unique characters.
- Cannot contain common words or patterns.
- Must contain both numbers and letters.
- Extension Permissions: In this section, you can edit the permissions of the extension user. You have the option to limit the user's management capabilities to specific employee and department extensions, grant the user "Admin" status which allows them to manage the entire phone system settings, or assign them a Billing role that gives them access to the Billing page where they can manage payment methods and view invoices. Please note: Only admins can see and manage user permissions.
Important Note: Make sure to save your settings before moving on.
Employee Extensions have the flexibility to forward calls to an app, a device, or a list of other extensions or phone numbers. To access these features, you must first enable the "Mobile App & Devices" setting in the "General Information" menu of your Employee Extension.
By default, the system sets the account owner’s contact number as the forwarding number for the extension. We recommend activating and answering calls on the Unitel Mobile App for smoother management of business calls.
With the Unitel Mobile App, you can use numerous features, such as outbound calling, call waiting, call transfer, do not disturb, three-way calling, and more. The specific settings and steps for setting up the app depend on your plan:
- Start-Up & Unlimited Plans
- Adjusting Call Settings: You have the option to change the outbound Caller ID and Ring Time (the duration that the call rings before going to voicemail).
- Syncing the App: Your Employee Extension comes with unique login credentials that you can use to sync the Unitel Mobile App with your extension. Once you've downloaded the app, you can either use these login credentials or scan a QR code to log in and sync your extension automatically. Alternatively, you can use the username and password you set up for your Employee Extension to sync and log in. After syncing, you can manage your phone system, access your inbox and call logs, and place outbound calls directly through the app.
- Office & Office Plus Plans
- For Office & Office Plus plans, the "Mobile App & Devices" menu will appear in the right-hand column. Here, you'll see a link to a setup form for the mobile app, softphone, and IP phones. This form allows you to set up the mobile app or other devices for your extension. After completion, you'll receive an email with your login for the Unitel Office mobile app.
Best Practices and Setup Tips: If you plan to use the mobile app as the primary tool for handling calls, removing any other listed forwarding numbers or extensions is best. If not, the system will first attempt to forward calls to your mobile app. If the call isn't answered, it will roll over to any other forwarding numbers or extensions you've listed.