Chat rooms are used when sending messages to multiple recipients. Chat rooms can be private or public. Private rooms can only be joined by invitation. Public rooms can be joined by anyone in your Team Messaging group.
- Create chat room.
- Join a chat room.
- Set up the type of notifications you want to receive for each chat room.
- Use mentions to get the attention of a specific chat room member.
- Add and remove members.
- Delete or leave a chat room.
Chat room server requirements
The following requirements must be met to use chat rooms:
- All the clients must be running version 5.5.0 or higher on Windows and Mac.
- Your Team Messaging account must be registered and enabled.
If some clients are running versions earlier than 5.5.0 on Windows and Mac, the room members list may not accurately show who is in the chat rooms and messages may not be sent to all room members.
Chat room properties
Each chat room has a set of properties. Some are required and some are optional.
Required chat room properties
- Room name: Each room must have a unique room name. Up to 40 characters long.
- Room Type: A room can be private or public. Private rooms are unlisted and can be joined by invitation only. Public rooms are displayed in the list of chat rooms that you can join.
- Room owner: The name of the person that created the room.
Optional chat room properties
- Members: The people you are inviting to the room or the people already in the room.
- Description: Up to 140 characters long that can be edited by the room owner.
- Topic: A brief description of what is currently being discussed in the group that can be edited by anyone. Up to 140 characters long.